My Son Came Out of One Hell and Entered
Another
My son came out of one hell and entered another.
When I brought Deni from Romania to Australia, he had
already lived through an ordeal no child should ever know. His mother had died
at the factory where she worked, and the circumstances surrounding that tragedy
remained, for us, a wound that never fully healed. Soon afterward, he was left
in my care, and at only twelve years old he arrived in Australia, in his
father’s family.
Because I worked late shifts in a factory, trying to
build a house and a future in a new country, I decided to enroll him in a
private school. The closest one to our home was a Catholic school, and Deni was
accepted into Year 7 after successfully completing seven grades in Romania.
I soon discovered how different two educational
systems can be. Deni had a strong academic foundation and adapted easily to
many of the subjects taught here. Perhaps it was precisely this ease that made
him less concerned with school than other children.
Yet the real challenge was not the curriculum—it was
the change of worlds. A child raised in a strict and disciplined environment
suddenly found himself in a much freer society, with different values,
different rules, and different temptations. For me, coming from the same
culture of rigor, that freedom was sometimes difficult to understand.
Over time, I realized how hard it is for a parent to
raise a child alone between two universes: the past carried in the heart and
the present in which the child must learn to live. What I saw as protection, he
could experience as limitation; what for me meant discipline could, for him,
become distance.
The years passed almost unnoticed. Some things we
understand only after they have already happened. We believe we are losing our
children, when in fact they are searching for their own path.
Today I understand better that Deni was not meant to
live in his father’s world, but in the world of his own time. Generations
change, and each carries its own struggle. We were raised to look toward the
future with patience and sacrifice; they live in an age of rapid change,
technology, and freedoms we never knew.
This world offers many opportunities to fail, but also
many chances to rise again. And despite all the fears we sometimes carry, I
believe that humanity continues to move forward, seeking not only material
progress but also a higher form of understanding and consciousness.
So when I look back at everything we have lived
through together, I no longer see only suffering. I also see the strength to
keep going.
Everything that happens to us, my son, can become a
step toward our fulfillment.
And beyond all misunderstandings, all wounds, and all
the distances between generations, I want you to know one thing:
I am proud of you.

Niciun comentariu:
Trimiteți un comentariu